Continuing on with the mage model that we modelled last week, we learnt different techniques of unwrapping and used them to unwrap the model. To start this we began be deleting half of our model. This was done so to simplify the unwrapping. We worked on one half and simply applied a symmetry modifier later on.
We also learnt about seams: what they are and how to use them effectively. Elle had previously taught me about seams when I was creating my hard-surface model but this was very helpful in refreshing my memory, and I learnt a lot more this time round. Some of my initial seams can be seen below (they appear blue):
As this is a organic model with many curved shapes and cylinders, we used the “peel” tool in most of the unwrapping. Again, I had used this before but I now have a much greater understanding of it. In addition to this we learnt how to use the “Quick Planar Map” tool and also how to quickly rescale our unwraps. Below is the unwrap of my mage, without the belt or the symmetry modifier.
After the main body of the mage was complete, we collapsed the symmetry modifier into the mage and attached the belt. I also added the clasp on the front of the cloak. I unwrapped these extra pieces and finalised my UV map.
As you can see below, I prioritised the arms, face, belt and cloak as they will need more detailed texturing. The feet were the least important which is why I have scaled them down.
I am much more confident in my unwrapping skills and feel sure that my team and I will be able to unwrap our characters successfully for the final project. This exercise was extremely helpful and I look forward to unwrapping more characters in the future.