Category Archives: Digital Painting

Deep Secret: Improved Concept

Taking the feedback from the gallery walk on board, I created a new concept that was a paint over of a 3D mock-up which helped me enormously with the perspective.

new concept

This is still pretty rough as my final scene should be much more overgrown, particularly where the towers connect to the path.

Advertisements

Deep Secret: Development Work for the Path

One of the biggest piece of feedback I got from my initial concepts was that the path was unclear in how it was structured and seemed completely disconnected to the rest of the scene. With this in mind, I created a couple of concepts which explored different styles for the path that would make it seem more plausible:

01

The initial concept was just a exploration of my original idea of the path: a grassy garden path that literally just hangs in the air. This concept is the least interesting and also the least plausible.

02

The second concept is based on suggestions that the path could be connected to rocky outcrops or floating rocks. I really like the image of a garden path atop floating rocks.

03

My third concept was based on a suggestion that the path could be made from tangled roots. I really like this idea and tried to explore how the trees might hold the path together. I feel that this concept works the best as it has a very surreal tone to it and the trees can be used to add variety to the scene and to break up the path a bit.

These concepts were also displayed at the gallery walk. While the feedback was mostly positive towards the rocky and root path concepts I was also advised that the top of the path was too plain and boring – that I could break it up with rocks and foliage.

Deep Secret: Initial Concepts

For the Deep Secret world builders project I created some initial concepts. Below is my first attempt at a ‘photo-bash’ concept for this project.

concept01

While this does kind of show the positioning of the props within the scene it is also very confusing. The photos I chose were from differing (and incorrect) perspectives which makes this concept very unclear.

To remedy this, I quickly coloured one of my thumbnails in the hope of making something more usable.

coloured-thumbnail

Again this does not display the correct perspective and gives no information about the details of path or the towers. So again, this was an entirely unusable concept.

I presented both of these concepts at the gallery walk and got a good amount of feedback on how to improve: in particular, I was told to focus on the perspective and give more detail to the path. While it was nerve-wracking to display concepts which I knew were ineffective, it was still a good experience and I have learnt a lot from it.

Colour Studies

A couple of weeks ago, we did a series of colour studies in class. Mine are included below:

ColourThumbnails_Erika02

This was a really hard exercise for me. However, it was quite good as it forced me to consider how light and colour work in different environments and in different types of lighting.

ColourThumbnails_Erika

I think my second attempt was more effective, as I had begun to get a sense of how to construct an environment.

Second Tone Study

Below is the second tone study from this image. Again the study used 7 tones, one layer and took 30min.

Practice_TonalStudy2

This one was much rougher than my last study but I felt that I was quicker and had a better understanding of what to do this time round. I notice from both my studies that the absolute tones (black and white) are used in very small amounts and usually for focal points.

Tonal Study

Below is a tonal study from this image. Study took 45 mins, used 7 different tones and was painted on one layer.

Erika_TonalStudyThis is very rough but it was a really good exercise. Upon reflection, I should have put more detail into the sky and some more highlights on the rocks.

Digital painting photo study

As I have been trying to improve my digital painting, I have been doing a couple of photo studies. Below is a quick colour study of a pot plant:

Practice_PlantsOverall, I am happy with this but I should have put more detail on the leaves as they look very flat. Also, the pot does not look grounded and I couldn’t work out how to fix it. I tried adding a shadow but it did not work very well.

Landscape Colour Study

Below is the colour study I did today in class. I had a couple of computer issues but I am still pleased with how it turned it.

ColourStudy_ErikaThis was a really fun exercise and I definitely be doing this more often.

More Painting Practice

More painting practice, this time a plank of wood that I created with from this tutorial.

wood

Holiday Digital Painting Practice

This coming trimester I would really like to get better a digital painting and actually create a finished piece that uses a “painterly” style. So I have been trying to follow some tutorials and improve my technique. Here is a strawberry I painted while following a tutorial.

practice

The leaves look too shiny so I will try to improve on that.