Some final 2D assets I made a couple of days ago for the games project.
For the game project I have created a new version of the checkpoint: a twig lantern.
For the game project I am working on, we are replacing the original lanterns with more natural twig lanterns. Personally, I like this decision as it will make the overall theme of the game more natural. Based on this design:
I have created the following model:
I believe this will work with the current design of the game. Below is a quick mockup:
For my games project I am creating several 3D assets which need to be modeled and animated. To start with I began by making some ‘prefab’ models to help my team gauge the scale:Of these, the only one needing to be resized was the bamboo water feature (it was half the necessary size). After this feedback I began modelling the assets, using the concepts I had previously created as a reference:As we are still in development stage, these are ‘first pass’ models which I will go back and fix up if time permits. All of my models, including the poly-count, are shown below:For the firefly, I have created a quick looping animation:
For the bamboo water feature I have created a looping animation:
The animation for the branch:
To see how the lighting, skinning and movement would work I created a extremely quick test of the moving tree branch. I used a cone as the tree branch and simply added bones and a skin modifier to it. There is also very simple lights to demonstrate how it might look. However I expect the final product to look different (and much better) as we are using the lighting within Unity.
Please note that, as this is just a test, I have not adjusted or fixed the smoothing groups, skinning or lights and used basic render settings.
It turns out that there is already a games company called United Front. So we have changed our group name to Audeamus which is a Latin phrase meaning ‘Let us dare’. We thought this would be appropriate for our ambitious but determined attitude. Below is the logo design that I have created:
Working from my firefly concept (below) I have started fleshing out some concepts for our game pitch:Here is the moodboard I created. I have chosen images for the overall feel, stylization, use of colour and depth, lantern designs and colour palettes.
Using this moodboard and reference images I began developing some more concept sketches for the game.
Lantern Active (note how the branches have moved away):Cursed Lanterns:Here is a collage of the main aspects of design that give the game its feel and theme:Below is the visualization for ending of the game. At the moment we are thinking that the fireflies will leave the forest and return to the sky, as it they had been stars trapped on earth.
This is all for the moment, might be doing more concept work later.
Once again, the game students have been given a new brief and just four weeks to design, create and complete a game. This time, however, we will be presenting the final project to industry professionals. So the pressure is on!
I am in a group with the game students David, Jayden and Stewart. Sam McLean (audio) will be in control of the audio and Vanja (animation) is possibly going to be helping out with the art and animation. Our team is called “United Front” as we are a collaboration of multiple disciplines and are all striving together to create the best game we can. I have created the following logo for our group. I chose to use strong geometry to match our name and attitude (it is a very basic logo):Today we got together as a group to discuss game ideas and concepts. The brief is rather tricky this time so we have a lot to consider when creating this game. Below is my contribution of rough concept ideas (plus sketches). Although most of these are unfeasible, we have started to seriously consider one of my concepts:I really look forward to creating this game and am quite positive that we will be to achieve our goals!